Monday, April 18, 2011

Cauliflower Soup with Frizzled Beets

So I was watching Hoda and Kathy Lee the other morning and saw a segment all about chilled soups. I'll be the first to admit it, soups aren't really my thing. There are really only a few kinds that I like...and none of which are chilled. So I made my own version of Souper Jenny's cauliflower soup with frizzled beets yesterday (and I made my version hot, not chilled)...and it was AMAZING! Click here to follow Jenny's recipe.


I did not have all the ingredients for her recipe...so I changed a few things around and was still very happy with the end result! This is what I did---

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
3/4 of a large red onion, chopped
a few pats of unsalted butter
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of sake (it was all I had left...)
1 cup of low sodium chicken stock
1 cup of water
1 tbsp. potato flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 beets, cut into matchsticks
vegetable oil, for frying beets

To start, place a few pats of butter and a hefty drizzle of olive oil in the bottom of a large pot. Once heated, throw in the diced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over low...you don't want them to burn. Once the onions are soft, toss in the cauliflower. Next, add in the sake, chicken stock, and water. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, put the soup (carefully) into a blender. Add in the potato flour and blend the soup until it is velvety smooth.

To make the frizzled beets you will need to put some vegetable oil into a pot and when the oil is hot enough toss in the matchstick sliced beets. Leave them in there a few minutes. You want them to have a nice little crunch. Place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Top the soup with a handful of the beets. They add a sweet crunch to the soup. Chris hates beets...but he couldn't get enough of these!!!

Souper Jenny said this soup is a chilled summery soup...but I really prefer to eat it hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment